The Water Act was tabled for second reading in the P.E.I. Legislature on November 29. As debate continues, and in the absence of further public consultation, it is important for MLAs to hear from us. The Coalition has identified several ways in which the act could be improved:
- Enshrine that water is a right.
- Make the fracking ban a real ban
- Use the right names for the terms: precautionary principle, intergenerational equity
- Do not allow municipalities to to exceed limits on water withdrawals
- Put the moratorium on high capacity wells in the Act
- Recognize Indigenous title and jurisdiction to watersheds in the Water Act.